Sunday, April 1, 2012

Today I ate a baby...

I ate a Dutch Baby, that is. If you have never tried one of these perfect desserts disguised as breakfast, you are missing out my friends. This morning I woke up and remembered seeing a picture of this big fluffy pancake on Pinterest and I just had to make it. After about 30 minutes of trying to find the pin, I gave up and just started googling. I ended up with a recipe for this German pancake. I love German food and I can't believe I have never had one of these before.





If heaven could be on a plate, this is what it would look like. And of course since I love you all, I will share the recipe.

Ingredients:
6 eggs
1 cup milk, room temp
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
5 Tbsp butter

I preheated the oven to 450 degrees. I put my cast iron skillet in the oven to  get all nice and scalding hot. I beat the eggs until they were frothy and smooth then added everything else except for the butter. Then you have to beat it for about 5 minutes.  When your cast iron is hot, take it out of the oven and add the butter. Let the butter melt and coat the pan. Add your batter and then stick it back in the oven for 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes, you will open the oven door and see this:

 The kids thought is was pretty cool.  I brought it out and slid it onto a big plate. I added some sugared strawberries, confectioner's sugar and whipped cream. You would be able to top it with anything. I think next time I will bake it with apples. I love recipes that are so basic that you can change little things to have a completely taste.

Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment