Monday, August 20, 2012

It's in the air...

Do you smell that?

 simple img 2 oak leaf wallpaper marijuana leaf pictures maple leafs wallpaper leaf wallpaper border autumn desktop wallpaper

Can you smell that fall is on its way? I can!! This time of year I feel like a little kid waiting for that first leaf to fall or see the first pumpkin on the front doorsteps of a neighborhood house. Autumn is my favorite season. Nothing compares to the smell of apples and cinnamon and the feeling of the crisp air in the evening.

I have big plans for this season. Over the last 10 years, I have moved around a lot and never really gotten into the fall spirit like I wanted. We were living out of boxes and never quite had that feeling of home. Almost exactly a year ago, we moved into this house. I decorated the porch last year with pumpkin and corn, but still didn't go all out like I wanted. This year is a whole other story. This year I can finally say that I am as settled as I have been in my adult life and I am going to go all out!

All these ideas of things I wanted to do to celebrate the fall season have been in my head the last few days. I figured I should write these amazing ideas down so I won't forget!

Things to do before December (in no particular order):
  • Take a drive through the mountains when the leaves are changing.
  • Visit a pumpkin farm.
  • Decorate the front porch.
  • Make apple EVERYTHING!  I'm talking pies, butter, sauce, bread, and anything else I can put an apple in.
  • Make corn chowder and brunswick stew.
  • Have a family pumpkin carving night.
  • Make a new fall wreath.
  • Take a hayride.
  • Go through a corn maze.
  • Start making homemade Christmas presents.
  • Make at least one of the kids Halloween costumes.
  • Learn to use a pressure canner.
  • Get good pictures of the kids.
  • Go to a fall festival 


Anything else I should add?




2 comments:

  1. I have a friend in Massachusetts who's family have an amazing Halloween tradition that's evolved into quite a community event. They started gradually, but when I met them they were carving about 400 pumpkins every year at Halloween, from simple jack o lanterns to some quite amazing designs. Lots of people came to help. They lined them up on hay bales, strung them with lights, and covered the whole front lawn with the results. People came from all over to drive by, and the locals had a big soup and beer party. Perhaps you could start small this year and see what evolves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I can def hook you up with a tractor hayride and pumpkin patch in the middle of Amish country!

    ReplyDelete